Blogtrotters

Friday, October 18, 2013

Minyeshu - Dire Dawa [2008] [ethiopia]







       A train line winds from Djibouti to the Ethiopian capital Addis Abeba. On this track lies Dire Dawa, a city raised on both spirit and turmoil planted on a track that heads on to a higher plateau. Dire Dawa is the name of Minyeshu's birthplace.

       Minyeshu left home to join the Ethiopian National Theater in Addis at an early age. Her opinionated and resolute nature created conflict enough to force her from her homeland, and ultimately to the awaiting platforms of Europe. Minyeshu is a stunning performer. Her voice sings and her body dances the stories of centuries of tribal development and strife, the plight of the refugee, and the vibrations that resonate through every human soul.

       This CD is the registration of Minyeshu's arrival in Western Civilization. She roots herself seamlessly with western musical elements to create an enchanting new genre: this Ethiopian music has depth, dynamic and emotional nuance; this Western music has primal energy, exotic heritage and a natural ground shaking pulse. 





1. An Ode to Friends Who Have Passed On] Halafi Nen Kealem (Serra) [Life and Death
2. Wosenku [I Have Decided]
3. Selam Lehtsanat [Peace for the Children]
4. Tileshign Athidg
5. Dire Dawa [Home of My Earliest Memories]
6. Afrika [Africa I Must Tell You This]
7. Like-Neh [Love Renewed]
8. Buna
9. Sidama Manaho
10. Ker-Yihun (Gurage) [A Song for a Friend of Gurage Heritage]
11. Ayasresam - Tzita [Song of Longing for a Memory]


Personnel:

Jodie Kean, Izaline Calister, Lilian Vieira (vocals); 
Zoumana Diarra (guitar, kora); 
Edward Capel (clarinet, saxophone).


8 comments:

2b0rn0t0b said...




http://www.mediafire.com/download/s0169msvju5vb4j/Minyeshu+-+%5B2008%5D+-+Dire+Dawa+%5Bethiopia%5D.rar

Feilimid O'Broin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Feilimid O'Broin said...

Betam amesegenalo for all of your effort and time expended in making available so much music from Ethiopia and Eritrea. You post so much fantastic music here that it is virtually impossible to adequately express more than a mere thanks for each individual post; however, collectively the posts are incredible. I greatly appreciate the eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary music and the presentation of all styles. I love, too, that you include so much Eritrean music.

I have been listening to Ethiopian music for more than twenty years; however, until your blog, my ability to hear the music was confined to radio shows, which provided information only in Amharic, or purchases via mail from Addis Abba, or from occasional visits to Ethiopian grocery stores. I have provided your link to Ethiopian acquaintances because quite simply there is no other blog like yours that consistently provides so many genres of and such high quality music from that region of the world.

I apologize for not commenting more frequently but I owe you many thanks and wanted to express it in depth. I remember when your blog disappeared and how unsettling it was to think that there was no other source which would provide so much information in English about the music. Your love and appreciation, your passion, for the music is obvious. So for me the question is how do you maintain and refresh such a great collection? I love that there are other fanatics in the world who love this music and I have been so moved by it that I have begun to teach myself Amharic so I can better appreciate much of the music from northern Ethiopia. And from time to time I need to say thanks again if only to communicate how much I greatly appreciate what you do and reassure you that the lack of comments does not mean that your work is ignored.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, myself: have you actually gone to Ethiopia repeatedly, 2b0rn0t0b? Your knowledge of the music and more than that, the background that informs and supports the music, is considerable.

Thanks for putting up yet-more great Ethiopian albums!

Anonymous said...

This is so great. I've discovered a lot of cool stuff here but as soon as heard Minyeshu I instantly was hit with: "Woah. This is unlike anything I know." Thanks!

2b0rn0t0b said...

thanks, guys, your words of support means a lot to me. The blog is also my way of constant and prolongated learning about ethiopians and enjoying their music. Every response from readers and listeners is welcome. At this moment I am very busy, butI am preparing some very interesting posts. I've reently disovered a little buried treasure of old ethiopian music. Be prepared :-)

Deepአቢሲኒያ said...

Wowww... I've never listened to it before...! Im so So grateful. Im still wondering how I got into this blog... and so so late. Peace be with you.

Deepአቢሲኒያ said...

I've read your comment late. Can't wait see your future posts.... as long as your blog is alive, I will keep on listening those good vibes of ours. Greetngs from Addis Ababa.